Are you looking at improving the efficiency of a document centric business process? Then you are in the right place. In this post I am going to share with you how to work smarter with documents than harder. Documents are integral part of most business processes . Some of the common processes where efficient document control and processing brings greater efficiencies and cost reductions are:
- Client and Customer on-boarding
- Case management
- Accounts Payable and Accounts receivable Process
- Digital mailroom automation
- Compliance and Information Governance
Whether it is paper or a electronic document, Intelligent document and Data Capture is a technique of automatically extracting business data fields from documents. Capturing documents at the point of origination and delivering metadata rich content into the Enterprise Content Management system is the first most important step involve in enterprise information management lifecycle.
While there are variety of business documents in different formats,for the purpose of content processing we can broadly categorised them into 3 different workloads.
- Structured Documents: Structured documents has a fixed layout. Application forms, Health assessment forms, Survey forms, most government public forms belongs to this category. This types of documents are captured for processing and the data are delivered to downstream systems of records
- Semi Structured Documents: Most business to business transactional content such as invoices, order forms belongs to this category. This type of documents are captured for processing. Often the data contain in this type of documents needs to be validated and delivered to the ERP system for completing the transactions.
- Unstructured Documents: 80% of business documents are unstructured and glowing 3 times faster than other categories. most HR, Legal, Contractual and Regulatory documents belongs to this category. Unstructured documents needs to be indexed and catalogued correctly against the right entity (i.e. Digital HR folder, Digital Patient folder, Digital case file etc.) for ease of findability and compliance reasons.
Intelligent document and data capture solutions such as KOFAX Capture and KOFAX Transformation Modules (KTM) can process any document with any complexity using advance content analysis techniques. Advance document data capture solutions uses the power of OCR, fuzzy lookups dictionaries and industry specific taxonomy metadata models to come with highly accurate results which eliminate manual document separation, classification and data entry efforts and errors. The following diagram shows how KOFAX capture and KOFAX Transformation Modules process a transactional document.
Once the document is captured and data is extracted often it needs to be sent to a workflow or Enterprise Content Management (ECM ) for approval and allocation tasks. Modern Document and Data Capture solutions such as KOFAX Capture and KOFAX Transformation Modules (KTM) has seamless integration with most ECM solutions such as Microsoft SharePoint to deliver the digital document and associated metadata against the document.
With the help of relevant metadata you can kickoff the required business process as soon as the document is arrived or notify the relevant person. Delivering the document into SharePoint with right metadata (index fields) significantly improve content navigation, security, search and e-discovery.
Hope this post helps you understand the power of document and data capture solution and how it helps you improving the visibility and control of a document centric business process. Now if you need help with any of the above please do not hesitate to contact us and we are glad to help you navigate in the right direction.